Augusta State University
Augusta State University is a public university located in Augusta, Georgia and is the oldest institution in the state of Georgia (while the University of Georgia is the oldest state chartered university in Georgia and the United States).
ASU has an enrollment of 6,564. The average age is 25 for undergraduates and 35 for graduate students. ASU has a moderate degree of diversity, with 32% minority enrollment (of whom 24% are African American). The U.S. News and World Report has twice ranked the college among the top 12 universities in the South for cultural diversity. Although most students come from Georgia, nearly every state and about 60 countries are represented in the student body.
Allgood Hall with belltower in foreground
Augusta State University was founded as the Academy of Richmond County in 1783. It opened in 1785 and offered collegiate-level classes from its earliest days, and its classes were overseen by the state legislature. Graduates were accepted into colleges as sophomores or juniors. Operation of the academy was overseen by a board of trustees until 1909, when control was passed to the Augusta Board of Education. The college-level classes continued to be overseen by a committee of the state legislature. As increased, land for a new building was purchased. In 1925, prior to completion of the new building, the Junior College of Augusta was established. In 1957, the junior college separated from the academy and moved to its present location on Walton Way.
In 1958, the college became a part of the University System of Georgia and its name was formally changed to Augusta College. Augusta College remained a until 1963, when it attained four-year status. A second campus was added on Wrightsboro Road, which now houses athletics, kinesiology & health science, a golf house, and 18-hole golf course.
In 1996, Augusta College was renamed Augusta State University. The current president of the university is William A. Bloodworth, Jr. (since 1993). The early 21st century has seen substantial development of the campus, with about $100 million in new construction. First came the construction of a new science building, then the construction of Allgood Hall (completed in 2002, and named after the deceased politician Thomas F. Allgood), University Hall (completed in 2004),University Village (2005, housing), the Jaguar Student Activities Center (completed in 2006, and the D. Douglas Barnard, Jr., amphitheatre in 2008.
ASU is organized into three colleges: Katherine Reese Pamplin College of Arts and Sciences, James M. Hull College of Business, and College of Education. Students can earn associate, bachelor, master, and specialist degrees in over 50 programs of study as well as a paralegal certificate and a cooperative doctorate. There is an Honors Program as well as a Cooperative Education program in which students alternate between classroom enrollment and real-life work experience in their field of study. Students also have opportunities for internships and study abroad programs.
Students from Edgefield and Aiken counties in South Carolina pay the Georgia in-state tuition rate.
The James M. Hull College of Business was recently featured by The Princeton Review in the 2008 edition of, "Best 290 Business Schools".
Reese Library, the information center of Augusta State University, provides a wide variety of services for students. Thousands of journals, newspaper articles and books are available in electronic full-text through GALILEO, an initiative of the University System of Georgia. In support of student learning and research there is a collection of more than 503,000 print and online books, plus an extensive collection of government publications, special collections and archives of materials relating to Augusta State and the greater Augusta area, over 500 print periodicals and more than 30,000 online journal titles.
There are quiet study areas for individuals and groups, casual seating areas and study rooms, a family room for students with children, wireless connectivity to the Internet, photocopiers, microfilm copiers, laptops available to borrow, and more than 50 public computers providing access to online databases and full-text information.
GIL, the library's computerized catalog, gives access to information about library materials and other university system libraries. GALILEO, a statewide computer system, provides a wealth of additional information resources including more than 200 journal and newspaper databases, some with full text. These and other electronic information resources are available in the library, on the campus computer network, and, in most cases from off-campus computers with a password. Contact the Reese Library Reference department (706-737-1748) for current availability and access information.
Materials from other libraries may be obtained through interlibrary loan via the University System of Georgia Universal Catalog's GIL Express for books and via ILLIAD for books and journal articles, with the option of having journal articles delivered directly to campus email accounts.
Instructional sessions for classes and individuals are scheduled each semester (706-737-1748).
The building is named for Dr. and Mrs. John T. Reese, parents of alumna Katherine Reese Pamplin. The three-story 80,000 square foot library has a seating capacity of just over 500. The library is open 85.5 hours a week when classes are in session. Hours are abbreviated during breaks in the academic schedule. For assistance, professional librarians are available in the library whenever the library is open, or call 706-737-1748.
A few of the bigger buildings on the Augusta State University Campus are very new. Some of the new buildings include the Science Building, Allgood Hall, University Hall, and the Jaguar Student Activities Center (JSAC). Other existing structures on campus are Washington Hall, which houses the art department and gallery as well as bookstore and some business offices, the fine arts building, the Maxwell Theatre, and Galloway Hall, which houses Military Science and Continuing Education. Historic Arsenal Buildings (Rains, Benet, Payne, and Fanning) house administrative offices. Bellevue Hall houses the Dean of Students and academic affair. Boykin Wright Hall houses Counseling and the Career Center. ASU also has the Maxwell Alumni Houses, and a Guardhouse History Museum. The Christenberry Field House houses athletics and Kinesiology and Health Science.