• phone: 706-922-9292
  • fax: 706-364-0897

Savannah River Site

 

The Savannah River Site, a 310 square mile site, is located in the south eastern coastal area of the United States in the state of South Carolina. It is bordered to the west by the Savannah River and Georgia, and is close to several major cities, including Augusta and Savannah.(GA.), Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston (S.C.). It is in an area residents refer to as the Central Savannah River Area, or CSRA.

Please see the attached directions and maps from your relative location

Augusta, GA                            Aiken, SC                              Columbia, SC                               Other

Team SRS Mission Statement

Mission
We serve the nation through safe, secure, cost-effective management of our nuclear weapons stockpile, nuclear materials, and the environment.

Vision
SRS will be a modernized DOE site, recognized for performance and excellence in support of our national security and as a responsible steward of the environment.

Values
SRS will succeed only through the individual and collective efforts of our most important resource: our people. We recognize it is imperative to shape and support a culture that values safety, security, teamwork, disciplined operations and continuous improvement - all in a cost-effective manner. We value the broad range of ideas, experience, and contributions of a diverse workforce, and are committed to excellence and ethical behavior in all we do. We also are committed to maintaining a productive work environment of mutual respect and equal opportunity where the talents and capabilities of all employees are recognized.


Historical Highlights of Savannah River Site

Welcome to the historical highlights of the Savannah River Site. SRS was constructed during the early 1950s to produce the basic materials used in the fabrication of nuclear weapons, primarily tritium and plutonium-239, in support of our nation's defense programs. If you wish to view an in-depth history, please explore SRS at Fifty, our 50th anniversary book.

 

1950:

• E. I. duPont de Nemours and Company was asked by the Atomic Energy Commission to design, construct and manage the Savannah River Plant.

• An area for the site was chosen.SRS History

 

 


1951:
• Savannah River Ecology Laboratory begins ecological studies of SRS plants and animals.
• Construction began at the site.

 


SRS 11952:
• Production of heavy water for site reactors begins in Heavy Water Rework Facility.


1953:
• R-Reactor, the first production reactor, goes critical.


1954:
• P-Reactor, L-Reactor, K-Reactor go critical.
• The first irradiated fuel is discharged.
• F-Canyon, a chemical separation facility, begins radioactive operations.SRS2

 

1955:
• C-Reactor goes critical.
• The first plutonium shipment leaves the site.
• H-Canyon, a chemical separation facility, begins radioactive operations.

 

1956:
• Construction of the basic plant is complete.


SRS31963:
• Receiving Basin for Off-Site Fuels receives first shipment of off-site spent nuclear fuel.


1964:
• R-Reactor shut down.


1968:
• L-Reactor shut down for upgrades.


1971:
• K-Reactor becomes the first production reactor automatically controlled by computer.


1972:
• The site is designated as the first National Environmental Research Park.


1981:SRS4
• SRS begins environmental cleanup program.
• M-Area Settling Basin cleanup begins under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.


1982:
• Heavy Water Rework Facility closed.


1983:
• Ground is broken for construction of the Defense Waste Processing Facility.
• Wackenhut Services Incorporated begins providing security support services at SRS.


SRS61985:
• HB-Line begins producing plutonium-238 for NASA's deep-spaceexploration program.
• L-Reactor restarted and C-Reactor shut down.
• A full-scale groundwater remediation system constructed in M-Area.

 

1986:
• Construction of Saltstone begins.
• Construction of the Replacement Tritium Facility begins.


1987:
• duPont notifies DOE that it will not continue to operate and manage the site.


1988:
• K-, L- and P-Reactors were shut down.
• Effluent Treatment Facility begins operations to treat low-level radioactive wastewater from F- and H-Area Separations facilities.SRS7


1989:
• The site is officially included on the National Priority List and becomes regulated by EPA.
• Westinghouse Savannah River Company assumes management and operation of site facilities.

 

1990:
• Construction of a cooling tower for K-Reactor begins.
• Saltstone operations begin.

 

1991:
• Mixed Waste Management Facility: first SRS facility closed and certified under the provisions of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
• L-Reactor shut down.
• M-Area Settling Basin closure completed.
• Cold War ends and production of nuclear materials for weapons at SRS stops.


1992:

• K-Reactor operated briefly for last time and connected to cooling tower.
• Secretary of Energy announces phase out of all uranium processing.
• Non-radioactive operations begin at the Replacement Tritium Facility.


1993:
• K-Reactor placed in cold-standby condition as Nation's tritium source.
• Non-radioactive test runs of the Defense Waste Processing Facility begin.
• Construction begins on Consolidated Incineration Facility.
• Tritium introduced into the Replacement Tritium Facility and radioactive operations begins.
• Workforce Transition and Community Assistance begins at SRS.


1994:
• SRS Citizens Advisory Board was established.


1996:
• The Defense Waste Processing Facility introduces radioactive material into the vitrification process.
• K-Reactor placed in shutdown condition.
• F-Canyon restarts and begins stabilizing nuclear materials at SRS.


1997:
• First high-level radioactive waste tanks closed.

 

SRS82000:
• K-Reactor building converted to K Area Materials Storage Facility.
• Record of Decision announced, selecting SRS as the site of new plutonium missions:

MOX Fuel Fabrication Facility
Pit Disassembly and Conversion Facility
Plutonium Immobilization Facility

2002:
• F Canyon and FB Line facilities completed their last production run to process legacy materials.


2003:
• Last depleted uranium metal shipped to Envirocare of Utah.
• Receiving Basin for Offsite Fuels prepares for closure.


2004:

• Site's research laboratory designated as a national laboratory.


2005:
• Blended low-enriched uranium from SRS used by Tennessee Valley Authority reactor to generate electricity.
• Tritium Facilities Modernization & Consolidation Project completed start-up.


2006:
• Savannah River National Laboratory designated as the Office of Environmental Management's "Corporate Laboratory."
• Aiken County's new Center for Hydrogen Research opened its doors.
• F-Area deactivation work complete.
• T-Area closure complete.


2008:
• Historical markers were placed in P and R Areas commemorating the role played by P- and R-Reactor towards winning the Cold War. The site's first two nuclear production reactors, R-Reactor began operations in 1953, P-Reactor in 1954.

 

 

Information provided by Savannah River Site